“They don’t make them like this any more” is certainly true of the C. M. Forbes home. This fantastically ornate home was build circa 1887 on the northwest corner of SW Vista Avenue and Park Place. Date of demolition is unknown but the high-rise now on that property was built in 1960.
Archive for the ‘1890s’ Category
This richly colored 1890 bird’s-eye view illustration of Portland showed the city from the industrial Northwest to South Portland and included Albina and East Portland. It also featured detailed views of select homes and businesses. A key at the bottom located many other properties.
The Portland Cable Railway Co. operated this cable car trestle as part of their overall Portland Heights line in the 1890s. The wooden trestle ran from the powershop at SW 18th & Mill (now under US26 just east of the tunnels) south up the hill to 18th & probably Jackson St. in Portland Heights. From there it traveled up 18th to Spring St. Power lines essentially trace the route today. The house at right center in this photo still exists; it’s the 1891 Alice Druhot house on SW Cable St., a block to the west of the trestle. Read more about the Portland Cable Railway Co. here. Thanks to VP fan Roxanne for the tip on this post.
Situated where Pioneer Courthouse Square is now (this view is SW 6th Avenue at bottom and Morrison Street to the right), the Portland Hotel commanded center stage from its opening in 1890 until its demolition in 1951. Much of its original stone foundation is reported to be in place under the present-day sidewalks. This photo from 1897 shows potted palm trees lining the courtyard.
This panorama of Portland from above Goose Hollow was probably taken at the same time as this photo, but today’s shows a view more to the north. The large building at upper right is the old Portland High School at SW 14th and Morrison. I believe the open field at the very left edge center is about where PGE Park is today. 18th and Jefferson is at the very lower right.
There’s a lot of detail of this 1891 map of the Northwest Portland area now known as the Alphabet District, including Old Town/Chinatown and the Pearl District. The rail yards would eventually expand to the west but at this time they covered much of what is now the Post Office property. Note that the park blocks were bounded by “N. East Park” and “N. West Park” with “N. Eighth” to the west. Hand-lettered notations in red renumber the streets as we know them today.
This brightly colored map of the Mt. Tabor and Belmont areas shows verified property ownership as of August, 1891. The map is bounded by Stark Street and Division Street on the north and south, 60th Avenue and 82nd Avenue on the west and east. Nelson St., running east-west near the top-left, is present day Belmont St.