This illustration was a competitive design for the Chamber of Commerce building by architects Parkinson & Hamme; its final shape and scale would be similar but the details would be considerably less Gothic. Completed in 1892, the building would eventually dominate the north side of SW Stark between 3rd and 4th Avenues.
Archive for the ‘1890s’ Category
This was a bit of Portland’s City Park Zoo in 1898. The pond in the center was the water fowl exhibit and the bit of water seen to the left was the seal pond. Now a part of Washington Park, this little bit of land is in the very northeast corner of the park and is called The Dog Park. It faces W Burnside here where it begins its uphill climb; SW Osage St. is just off the right edge.
Looking east to Mt. Hood in 1898, this view from City Park (now Washington Park) shows Portland spread out and beginning to rise. The Chamber of Commerce Building, Portland High School, The Oregonian Building, the Marquam Grand and the Portland Hotel all stand out in this excellent photo. The large building in the foreground was the Exposition Building on W. Burnside (then Washington Street) between 19th and 20th.
Recent removal of heavy vegetation at the corner of SW 18th and Mill St. Terrace has uncovered this partial foundation. Could this be part of the old Portland Cable Railway that ran up the hill to Portland Heights? It’s a interesting site, showing a mixture of brick and concrete construction, and there’s an almost buried curved staircase visible. For all you urban archeologists out there, now is the time to get exploring as vegetation removal could be the first step in development of the lot. Be careful out there and remember, this is private property.
The Olds, Wortman & King Department Store took up the quarter block on the southwest corner of SW 5th & Washington. At one time it connected to the Exchange Building on 6th Avenue as the store operated out of both buildings. Constructed in 1891, this building was replaced only 21 years later. The Hotel Monaco (Lipman-Wolfe and Company Building) is on this location now.
Goose Hollow is shown in this 1892 photo from the hillside above. Jefferson Street cuts left-right across the bottom while 18th goes diagonally from bottom-right and crosses in front of the Exposition Building at left-center. The large building at lower-right is still with us today but the surrounding area has been filled in so that the main structure is at ground level.