The Army Air Corp Revue posed outside the Oriental Theater on SE Grand Avenue in 1941. The theater was noted for its intricate and elaborate design elements with heavy Asian influence, as well as superior sound and an early use of neon signs. It was demolished in 1970 and the site remains a surface parking lot today.
Archive for January, 2013
Construction of the westside seawall and sewer continues in this 1928 photo. All this activity is taking place between the Burnside (behind) and Morrison Bridges, with the Hawthorne Bridge even farther to the south. The building at right is the 1882 Starr block, on Pine Street, demolished in 1942.
These two old rooming houses seem isolated and perhaps even in an industrial area. The truth is, however, that the shadow falling from the left side of the top image is the old Municipal Auditorium and we’re looking northeast at SW 2nd & Market Street. The land behind the photographer had been cleared for South Auditorium Urban Renewal. The area can be seen quite clearly in this earlier VP aerial photo. Thanks again to John for another great photo.
One would presume that this fellow is F.L. Carlo himself, proprietor of the F.L Carlo Shoe Shop. The location of the circa 1931 photo shoot has been lost, which gives the crack VP community another mystery to solve. The photo was probably taken by the same itinerant photographer who captured a number of other shop owners featured here before. Note that this time he’s captured his own image in the window!
The old St. Mary’s Academy looms over the corner of SW 5th and Mill Street in this tremendous photo sent by VP fan John. The building was constructed in 1889 and demolished in the early 1970s. I’ve found good, clear pictures of the school hard to come by, so this is a welcome addition. John has sent in more of his father’s images of this era so look for them in the coming weeks.