This 1975 aerial view shows the Southeast and Northeast Portland stretching east from the Buckman neighborhood past Lone Fir Cemetery, Laurelhurst Park, Mt. Tabor and into the distance. Sandy Blvd. cuts across the lower left part of the photo.
Archive for March, 2012
This stretch of SW 5th Avenue from Salmon Street toward Taylor has changed considerably over the years. The grandly columned Portland Garage is now the site of the Standard Insurance Center. The building partially visible to our immediate left still stands, built in 1927 and since remodeled. The Greyhound Bus Depot across Taylor is a distant memory.
The 1889 Glisan’s Building was the last cast-iron building constructed in Portland. It stands on the east side of SW 2nd Ave. between Ash and Pine Streets. At the time of this photo, the area was still home to many industrial-type companies, such as Chown Electrical Supply Co. pictured here. Now a more commercial and entertainment area, the building is home to Kell’s Irish Restaurant and Pub.
We had previously seen the Multnomah Block from the other side, along SW Morrison Street, after the building suffered a 1941 fire. This photo, taken the same day, is of the opposite side. We look west on Burnside from NW 19th Ave. The Kingston Hotel is visible in the distance.