Southeast Portland’s Reed College campus is shown looking northeast in this nice 1940 aerial view. SE 28th Avenue and Woodstock Blvd. meet in the lower left corner. Those look like tents to the north of the campus; anyone have any idea what those could be?
Archive for January, 2012
Wide streets and tidy neighborhood shops are hallmarks of the stretch of N. Lombard Street where N. Fiske Avenue crosses in the University Park area of North Portland. This 1944 view is to the southeast and the dense trees of Columbia Park can be seen a few blocks down on the left.
The heart of downtown Portland is shown in this nice 1907 image; SW 5th Avenue crosses in the foreground as we look west on Morrison Street. Even though all the buildings except the Pioneer Courthouse on the left have been replaced, it’s a pretty recognizable scene even today. And as we’ve seen a number of times, today’s MAX Light Rail cars now rumble over some of the same routes that early streetcars did over a hundred years ago.
To promote the 1948 Cary Grant and Myrna Loy movie “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House,” the studio built “dream houses” in various cities around the country. The Portland-area house was built in the Cedar Hills area of Beaverton. As well as a promotional device, it was built using the latest post-war materials and technology but with a traditional design and decor. It’s still a lovely estate on the northwest corner of SW Walker Road and Mayfield Avenue. Read the feature article in The Oregonian, November 6, 1948.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
N. Broadway looking east to Larrabee seemed like a thriving, pedestrian-friendly neighborhood center in 1937. You can even see the subway entrances that would allow walkers to cross under the busy streets. Everything on the right is now part of the Memorial Coliseum/Rose Center complex. See another view of this intersection looking south on this previous VP post.
This is a terrific 1952 aerial view of the Steel Bridge looking southwest across the river. It shows quite a bit of new ramp construction on the east side and gives a new perspective to this earlier post showing Harbor Drive approaches to the bridge, and the layout of nearby blocks, on the west side.
This was the second Italianate home that architect Warren H. Williams designed for shoe merchant Morris Marks. It was built in 1882 on the southwest corner of SW 11th and Clay, diagonally across from The Old Church. It was moved to its present location at 1501 SW Harrison in 1910 and is beautifully restored today. The first Williams-designed Marks home, at 1134 SW 12th, is more well known, primarily because of efforts to relocate and preserve the house in the face of urban development.