Archive for August, 2011

SE 12th at Burnside & Sandy, 1963

August 31, 2011

Then as now, traffic seems to be going in all directions as we look south on 12th. E Burnside crosses in the foreground while Sandy angles off to the right.

(City of Portland Archives)

SE Hawthorne & Union Avenue, 1937

August 30, 2011

This view east on SE Hawthorne where it crosses Union Avenue may look familiar; we saw it from a different angle earlier. This view shows a little more of the shops that lined Hawthorne.

(City of Portland Archives)

Neppach House, 1928

August 29, 2011

The 1883 Neppach House hotel dominated the northwest corner of NW Third and W Burnside in 1928. Upper floors were hotel and other lodging under a number of names over the years with storefronts at street level. It lost 20 feet of its front during the 1930s Burnside widening and the subsequent remodel made it virtually unrecognizable. It survived until the mid 2000s. The three-story brick hotel on the right still stands as part of the Union Gospel Mission.

(City of Portland Archives)

Downtown and Riverfront Aerial, 1974

August 26, 2011

The area between SW Front and the river is undergoing massive changes in 1974 with the removal of Harbor Drive, construction of Tom McCall Waterfront Park and the eventual development of the Riverplace area in the lower right. A few more highrise buildings will sprout downtown in the coming years.

(City of Portland Archives)

Orpheum Theater, 1976

August 25, 2011

The theater opened on the corner of SW Broadway and Yamhill as the Empress Theater in 1913, was later renamed the Hippodrome Theater and remodeled to this configuration as the Pantages Theater in 1926. It was finally renamed Orpheum Theater in 1929. Here you see trucks set to haul away demolition debris in 1976 as the block is leveled to make way for the Nordstom building.

(University of Oregon Libraries)

Fremont Bridge Construction, 1973

August 24, 2011

The Fremont Bridge is currently undergoing a repaving project on the top deck. For the first time since this photo was taken in 1973, the epoxy asphalt concrete base layer is being replaced. This view is to the northeast.

(City of Portland Archives)

Fire Station 15, 1913

August 23, 2011

This 1907 fire station at 1920 SW Spring Street was replaced in 1927 by the fire station that is at that address today. The neighboring house is still there too.

(City of Portland Archives)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,443 other followers

%d bloggers like this: