Archive for September, 2010

SW Vista Avenue, 1965

September 30, 2010

As summer-like weather holds on to Portland for a few more days, it’s forever Summer 1965 in this photo of two kids on skateboards shooting down SW Vista Avenue. Ivar Bohnsen ran the Portland Heights Grocery at Vista and Spring (in the commercial building in the background) and built the Bohnsen Cottages in 1926. The cottages are virtually unchanged since they were built, and there are a few more trees along the street now but it’s an easily recognizable scene today.

(City of Portland Archives)

Jantzen Beach Amusement Park, 1936

September 29, 2010

This 1936 aerial view shows the Jantzen Beach Amusement Park on Hayden Island. The park opened in 1928 and at the time was the largest amusement park in the nation. The photo is oriented with southwest at the top. The natatorium is next to the part of the Interstate Bridge (then only one span wide) that crosses North Portland Harbor, while the roller coaster is clearly visible near the bottom. The park closed in 1970 and is now the site of Jantzen Beach shopping mall.

(City of Portland Archives)

NE Sandy & 41st, 1934

September 28, 2010

It looked like a fine day for some open-air shopping at this market on NE Sandy Blvd. at 41st Avenue. In 1934 you could get a rake for 15 cents or buy items with brand names we know today; Coca-cola, Vigoro, and Sunkist, for instance. A Laurel & Hardy movie was playing a few doors down at the Hollywood Theater.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW Madison & 6th, 1936

September 27, 2010

The four story Portland City Hall dominated the skyline in this 1936 photo looking east on SW Madison Street from 6th Avenue. The 29-story PacWest building now sits of the site of the Francis used car lot. The Hawthorne Bridge can be seen in the distance.

(City of Portland Archives)

Captain George H. Flanders Home, 1888

September 24, 2010

One of the grandest mansions in Northwest Portland was the home of Captain George H. Flanders which stood on the block bounded by NW 19th and 20th Avenues, Flanders and Glisan Streets. This view looks northwest from 19th and Flanders. Designed by Justus F. Krumbein and built in 1882, it was replaced in 1926 by the extant Temple Beth Israel. Much of the rock wall pictured here is still in place. Seen in the background is the belvedere atop the home of Cicero Hunt Lewis on the block between Glisan and Hoyt (now Couch Park).

(City of Portland Archives)

NW Lovejoy Ramp, 1938

September 23, 2010

A lovely old photo of the Lovejoy Street ramp looking east. The Broadway Bridge, Steel Bridge and Union Station are easily identifiable. Most of the ramp is gone now and this vantage point, at about 9th Avenue, is now at ground level where it rises sharply to meet the Broadway ramp. See an aerial view of the ramp here.

(City of Portland Archives)

Thompson Elk Fountain, 1901

September 22, 2010

The Thompson Elk Fountain has stood in the middle of SW Main Street between 3rd and 4th Avenues since 1900. The statue was presented to the city by David P. Thompson, a former Portland mayor and civic leader. Single family wood framed homes lined the east side of 3rd in this 1901 photo, half of a stereoscopic image. A very similar perspective, but 34 years later, can be seen in this earlier post.

(City of Portland Archives)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,365 other followers

%d bloggers like this: